Deployment Architecture

How do I trim field names in a custom Add-On?

kentcoble
Explorer

I've created an Add-On for my workplace that collects the serial numbers of motherboards and local drives. I've constructed the scripts to send this information back in a key=value format. Everything works great as data is fed back to the indexing server from the Universal Forwarder and I can search for the data without issues. Now, I'd like to trim the field names from showing up in the search results, but I'd like to program that into the Add-On.

For example, local drive serial numbers are saved as the sourcetype diskserial and motherboard serial numbers as systemserial. So if I search for either of these, ex. sourcetype=diskserial, the results show up as:

diskserial     |      host
====================|==============
diskserial=abc12345 | foo.local.com
diskserial=def67890 | bar.local.com

I'd like for the diskserial= to be automagically trimmed off. This would make the output much cleaner and make report generation much easier for our admins. My understanding is that I have to include some kind of Regex in the props.conf file, but I'm not sure how that's supposed to work.

0 Karma

kentcoble
Explorer

To clarify, this is an Add-On that gets pushed to workstations, i.e. all machines with the UniversalForwarder installed. The props.conf file would be the one included in the Add-On, not the UniversalForwarder props.conf or server-sided props.conf. I'm trying to package everything into the Add-On to make it as convenient as possible.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...