Deployment Architecture

How can you set Splunk to restart automatically when it goes down?

julian0125
Explorer

Hello Splunkers,

I need your help once again.

Is there a way to restart Splunk automatically when it goes down? Unfortunately, we don't have permission to use CRON, but we are making a test with a shell (.sh) into the server to call the "./splunk restart" command, but it doesn't work for itself. I need to put manually the shell using " sh XXX.sh" command.

Thanks for your help

Tags (1)
0 Karma

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk really shouldn't be going down. You should look try to determine why by looking at index=_internal source=*crash*.

If you can't fix this then I would recommend using SystemD which can automatically restart Splunk for you. This is the default in 7.2.x splunk versions. Even if you are using an older splunk you can setup Splunkd by using the unit file from this page: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.2/Admin/RunSplunkassystemdservice#Configure_systemd...

From that link, you can see that it is already set to Restart=always these exit codes are important:

SuccessExitStatus=51 52
RestartPreventExitStatus=51
RestartForceExitStatus=52

All the best.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...