Deployment Architecture
Highlighted

Forwarder managament - How to list only servers with 0 apps deployed

Path Finder

Hi all.

In our enviroment the uForwarder gets automatic installed when a new server is entering the domain.
And from there we pick it up in our Deployment server. But this has to be done manually.
Some days there are 0 new servers and some days there are several.

I have looked in different logs, but I can only find logs from servers with a Server Class or an App.

Command:
/opt/splunk/bin/splunk list deploy-clients
Wil show all the clients even thos with 0 deployed apps.

The only place i have found it written is in:
/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log

Like this:
xx.xx.xx.xxx - - [12/Jul/2019:12:30:59.128 +0100] "POST services/broker/phonehome/connectionxx.xx.xx.xxxporthostname.domainhostname_UNIQUE ID HTTP/1.1" 200 616 - - - 1ms

Question:
is this the only place outside the website I can find a new server added to the deployment server?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Forwarder managament - How to list only servers with 0 apps deployed

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you open the deployment servers UI and go to settings -> forwarder management -> click the clients tab. Here you see all clients and if you click on the > next to their name it will show list installed apps. On right side there will be number of installed apps on each client.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

Thanks for the quick response.
We have used this option for a while now.
But we need to check it daily, and I would hope I could make a search in splunk to notify when a new uforwarder appeared in Deployment.

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you look at your job history after opening that view on the DS, you will see the search that is executed to create that view

0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

Thnk you, I wil try this.

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

this gets you close:

| rest /services/deployment/server/clients/ | table dns applications*action | transpose 0 | foreach column [eval Application=<<FIELD>>] | rex mode=sed field=Application "s/(applications\.)|(\.action)//g" | transpose 0 | rename "row 1" as "DNS" | foreach row* [ eval <<FIELD>>='<<FIELD>>']