Deployment Architecture

Do we need to install all apps for indexers in cluster ?

AKG1_old1
Builder

Hello,

We are planning to move from Single instance installation to cluster(1SH + 3 INDEXER)

we have 50+ supporting apps downloaded from splunkbase. We use one primary app which has all the main configuration like props, transform, dashboards, datamodels etc. we will be distributing this primary app to indexer using configuration bundle.

I wanted to know if we need to push all other supporting appls like Lookup Editor, Calender_App etc ?
As per my understanding these supporting app/add-on only be used on search head. so do I need to push these to all indexer ?

example:

2020-10-13 15_58_44-apps - autoengine@hp737srv - WinSCP.png

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @AKG1_old1.,

you can see in apps.splunk.com and check, one by one, in the documentation section of each app, if there's an Indexer component.

Anyway, I'd install on Indexers all the TAs.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

P.S.: if this answer solves your needs, please accept it for the other people of Community and Karma Points are appreciated 😉

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @AKG1_old1,

if you're speaking of apps like  Lookup Editor, Calender_App, etc, in other words apps only for presentation, you don't need to install them on Indexers.

It's a different thing for the TAs, especially the ones required by some special App, e.g. the Splunk App for windows Infrastructure requires TA_Windows, Splunk Add-On for Microsoft Active Directory, Splunk Add-On for Microsoft DNS, etc...

In other words you have to see in the documentation if there are Indexes components.

All these apps must be deployed by the Master Node.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

AKG1_old1
Builder

Thank you @gcusello . I  have better understading now. 

After reading your reply I think  I do have some other apps which may need to deploy on Indexer.

You mentioned that we can verify these apps in doucments if has indexer components or not. Could you give little more insight how I can verify my all apps. 

agoyal_0-1602667734217.png

Thank you

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @AKG1_old1.,

you can see in apps.splunk.com and check, one by one, in the documentation section of each app, if there's an Indexer component.

Anyway, I'd install on Indexers all the TAs.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

P.S.: if this answer solves your needs, please accept it for the other people of Community and Karma Points are appreciated 😉

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...