Deployment Architecture

Deployment Server - App deployment

ppurokit
Path Finder

Context: Deploying apps via Deployment Server

I have a deployment server where I have three splunk instances connected to it. All the apps which I have developed does not have the “local” folder shipped as part of it.

Questions:

1) Whenever I copy the apps into the “deployment-apps” folder and do a splunk restart , I see that a folder called “local” automatically gets generated.Why is this getting generated.?

2) I see that the local folder is getting overwritten whenever I push apps via the deployment server.

a. I hope it should not the case. If so , we will end up losing all the data customized in the splunk instance.

b. Actually several of our users create artifacts on the local folder of app on the deployment client. But this gets overwritten everytime. Should not the “local” be persisted ?

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

No. The contents of the app folder on a deployment server is hashed, and that hash is compared to the hash of the app folder on the client. If the hashes don't match then the entire folder from the deployment server is sent and replaces the entire folder on the client. If you have settings that you want to keep, then don't store them in a deployed app, unless the data is placed on the copy of the app that resides on the deployment server (master copy).

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...