I'm trying to set up a Universal Forwarder as a deployment client on Windows. I install splunkforwarder...msi via the CLI, and I do NOT use the "DEPLOYMENT_SERVER" flag. Instead, I want the deployment client to get that information from deploymentclient.conf.
So... I place the deploymentclient.conf file at the following location:
("mf_Laptop" is the name of the app to which the Deployment Server will push inputs.conf, etc.)
My deploymentclient.conf is very simple:
targetUri = myhostname:9996
But... it's NOT working. The Deployment Client is not phoning home, so it never gets inputs.conf and outputs.conf, etc.
In the splunkd.log, on the Deployment Client, I see the following entry:
WARN DeploymentClient - Property targetUri not found. DeploymentClient is disabled.
So, I'm guessing that the Deployment Client is not picking up deploymentclient.conf from the app directory listed above.
Incidentally, another Windows Deployment Client is working fine, using the same deploymentclient.conf file. The big difference, however, is that on the working Windows Deployment Client, deploymentclient.conf is located in:
I have an Update. I moved my deploymentclient.conf file into "system\etc\local", and did a "splunk restart", and this did NOT change anything. Same Warning message in splunkd.log. So my theory that the location of deploymentclient.conf was the problem has been disproved.
I'll keep plugging away, and keep my eyes on this forum for any other ideas.