Deployment Architecture

Can multiple serverclasses reference the same app in serverclass.conf?

gowen
Path Finder

I'm still trying to address the need from Groups of hosts for serverclass.conf? and I think I see an ugly hack, and I want to know if it'll break anything.

Can two serverclasses in serverclass.conf reference the same app? E.g., if I have an app defined in the /opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps/MyApp/ tree, can I have

[serverClass:AlphaClass:app:MyApp]

as well as

[serverClass:BravoClass:app:MyApp]

That way, if I have sets of servers for Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie, and log apps of MyAppOne and MyAppTwo, I can mix and match without having to repeat the complex whitelist/blacklist filters. In other words, if AlphaClass is going to need MyAppOne and MyAppTwo, I only specify the hosts via whitelist/blacklist once for AlphaClass and then have AlphaClass be the serverclass for both apps, and the app stanza just needs whitelist.0=* to equal the "group" of servers I specified in the class.

Does that work or is there some subtlety of the way classes and apps interact that won't allow this sort of modular reuse?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

The following would work as expected 🙂

[serverClass:Alpha]
whitelist.0 = 10.1.1.1
whitelist.1 = 10.2.2.2

[serverClass:Bravo]
whitelist.0 = 11.1.1.1
whitelist.1 = 11.2.2.2

[serverClass:Charlie]
whitelist.0 = 12.1.1.1
whitelist.1 = 12.2.2.2

[serverClass:Alpha:app:MyAppOne]
[serverClass:Alpha:app:MyAppTwo]
[serverClass:Bravo:app:MyAppOne]
[serverClass:Charlie:app:MyAppTwo]

Alpha gets both apps, Bravo gets MyAppOne, Charlie gets MyAppTwo. No need to further specify whitelists/blacklists on the [serverClass:X:app:Y]-level.

In fact if you add a blacklist.0 = 10.1.1.1 for [serverClass:Aplpha:app:MyAppOne], I think you have to explicitly re-add a whitelist.0 = 10.2.2.2 on the app-level stanza, if I understood the documentation correctly.

Simple as that.

/Kristian

0 Karma
Did you miss .conf21 Virtual?

Good news! The event's keynotes and many of its breakout sessions are now available online, and still totally FREE!