Deployment Architecture

Best practices to create a search head cluster

llacoste
Path Finder

Hi all,

So I was wondering as I was writing some docs today and playing around creating some clusters... I was always taught and always read that you should not use the Deployment Server to create a Search Head Cluster as the /etc/apps gets wiped by the Deployer whenever the Search Heads turn into a cluster. That much I understand.

That's why we always use CLI to initialise the SHs and then bootstrap the captain and attach to the Cluster Master.

But, I was wondering as I was going through my Splunk Core Consultant notes, in one of the PPT slides I remember I saw a comment stating something like: /etc/apps would be wiped and you would have to deploy those configurations again in the /etc/shcluster/apps in the deployer.

So, what is the 'official' best practice on a "Professional Services Consultant level" around that Search Head clustering? I am using all the official splunk base apps already to install my clusters but when it comes to the SH Cluster I always go CLI..

Thank you for your time and answer 🙂

Labels (1)
0 Karma

llacoste
Path Finder

I see it's as clear for you it is for me 😄

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...