Deployment Architecture

Backup for indexer?

kalyanilandge

Hello ,
I need to upgrade the version on splunk indexer from 6.2 to 6.3.1, with the clustered enviornment for that i need to take the backup-
Is this sufficient? or in additin to this what all things required?
$SPLUNK-HOME/var/lib/splunk/default/db/*
$SPLUNK-HOME/etc/

Tags (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Just backup everything; the software is so small compared to the data that it is insignificant. Besides, if you need to restore, you will be restoring the old software anyway (because there was a problem with the upgrade).

The process should be this:

Block port 9997 and 9998 on the Indexer so that incoming data cannot arrive from forwarders.
Remove the Indexer from all Search Heads as a Search Peer (now ALL searches will be missing a little bit of data so let people know by updating `web.conf` with a warning message).
You have now successfully isolated this 1 Indexer.
Do your backup (copy everything).
Upgrade the software by reinstalling it OVER the original location.
Start splunk.
Answer the questions (you should almost always say `Yes` to every question).
Re-add the Indexer to one Search Head and see that old data is still available in your search results (see `splunk_server` field).
If everything is OK, unblock port 9997 and 9998 on the Indexer and see that new data is available in your search results.
Re-add the Indexer to all Search Heads,
Done.

If you are in a clustered environment, it will be a little different.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...