Deployment Architecture

After adding a user to only one search head in a search head cluster, why is the user unable to see all saved search results?

ishaanshekhar
Communicator

I have a search head cluster and have created a custom role (authorize.conf), which has been deployed to each SH through a custom app.

I added a user "xyz" to only one SH so that the user only uses a particular SH. Everything seems fine except that the user is not able to see all the saved search results.

Error message when I use loadjob command:

Error in 'SearchOperator:loadjob': error accessing https://127.0.0.1:8089/services/search/jobs/scheduler__admin__search__RMD5fc0cc9974bfd0925_at_145320..., statusCode=403, description=Forbidden

However, when I added the user to all the SHs, there were no errors.

My question is, did the issue happen because of not adding the user to all SHs, or because of a capability issue in authorize.conf?

Thanks
Ishaan

0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
Legend

In a search head cluster, if you are using local splunk authentication, then the users should be created separately on each member. The user on a search head is local to that node and its same as with the objects created by the user unless the user has admin privileges.
It's always advisable to configure a central user base/authentication system like LDAP in a search head cluster.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.2/DistSearch/AdduserstotheSHC

---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂

View solution in original post

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...