Dashboards & Visualizations

how to move dashboards from test environment to production

sravankaripe
Communicator

i have couple of dashboards under some app in test environment i want to move this dashboard to production. how can i do this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, if there are only couple of dashboards, then you can just create new dashboard in your PROD enviornment using the dashboard xml (Open Dashboard, Edit -> Edit Source XML). After that setup appropriate sharing permissions.

Other option would be to Login to Test environment search head (putty in case of NIX server), copy the dashboard xml from path $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/YourAppNameHere/local/data/ui/views and place it in the same path or appropriate path on Production server. Also, copy the corresponding metadata entry from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/YourAppNameHere/metadata/local.meta to corresponding meta file in PROD.

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

All dashboards should be in a custom app created by you. When you set your permissions from user to app, the XML file is copied from your user directory in to the app directory. You can then copy the app directory manually or you can use the App Exporter App:

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/2613/

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Depending on how many dashboards you have, I would just copy the sourcecode from your test environment and put them in your prod environment.

Go into your prod environment, create the dashboard with the same name, edit the sourcecode button, paste your sourcecode and save..

Did you enrich your data in the test environment? If so then you will need to add these knowledge objects or fields into your prod environment before moving the dashboards

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, if there are only couple of dashboards, then you can just create new dashboard in your PROD enviornment using the dashboard xml (Open Dashboard, Edit -> Edit Source XML). After that setup appropriate sharing permissions.

Other option would be to Login to Test environment search head (putty in case of NIX server), copy the dashboard xml from path $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/YourAppNameHere/local/data/ui/views and place it in the same path or appropriate path on Production server. Also, copy the corresponding metadata entry from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/YourAppNameHere/metadata/local.meta to corresponding meta file in PROD.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...