Dashboards & Visualizations

auto-decode UTF-8 encoded-string

mushkevych
Explorer

In our system we have 2 pipelines: one via Kafka->Connector->HEC->Splunk, the other DB Connect->Splunk.
Both pipelines are transporting data with the same sourcetype, which is marked with UTF-8 in props.conf: CHARSET=UTF-8.

UTF-8 strings that flow thru DB Connect are shown in Search app in their decoded format:
alt text

While the data flowing via Connector->HEC is still encoded:
alt text

Later on, the encoded values (such as "\u30a2...") are shown in the drop-down filters and so on.

Advise is very appreciated.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Create a macro and put a giant sed command in that and then create a Calculated Field for your sourcetype. For example, here is one that I wrote to do URL decoding:

... | rex field=fieldURLencoded mode=sed "s:%25:%:g s:%20: :g s:%3C:<:g s:%3E:>:g s:%23:#:g s:%7B:{:g s:%7D:}:g s:%7C:\|:g s:%5C:\\\:g s:%5E:\^:g s:%7E:~:g s:%5B:\[:g s:%5D:\]:g s:%60:\`:g s:%3B:;:g s:%2F:/:g s:%3F:\?:g s/%3A/:/g s:%40:@:g s:%3D:=:g s:%26:&:g s:%24:\$:g s:%21:\!:g s:%2A:\*:g s:%22:\":g s:%28:\(:g s:%29:\):g s:%2B:\+:g"

mushkevych
Explorer

Thank you @woodcock. it seems as manual UTF-8 decoding function. I am wondering if Splunk has anything in place for this.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

My friend @trmoser just wrote one and should be posting to splunkbase soon!

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Check SplunkBase.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...