Dashboards & Visualizations

Why is report acceleration on a dashboard working for one role, but not another?

Path Finder

Hi all,

I have dashboards which used post process search as global search, and acceleration report on that global search. in this case, the dashboard is working very fast when I open It. However, I have multiple accounts belonging to different roles to access these dashboards. When I tried with role1, the dashboard acceleration is working, but when I tried another account, which is under role2, the acceleration report is not working, and the dashboard became very slow.

These two roles have different capabilities. May I know if it is due to that issue? and how can I fix this?
Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

0 Karma
1 Solution

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

permissions would be the first place I would look. Under Settings->Users and Authentication->Access Controls->Roles-> there is a section "Capabilities". Check whether "accelerate_datamodel" is checked.alt text

View solution in original post

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

permissions would be the first place I would look. Under Settings->Users and Authentication->Access Controls->Roles-> there is a section "Capabilities". Check whether "accelerate_datamodel" is checked.alt text

View solution in original post

Path Finder

Hi Mreynov,

Thanks for your help on this issue. however, both these two roles had accelerate** capabilities already. The only different is that role1 has adminall_objective capability, role2 doesn't have this. when i assign this capability to role 2, then the acceleration dashboard will be working also to role2.

Finally, i noticed that the issue was due to the accelerated saved search permission. after i gave the permission to the global, then the dashboard works for any role.

Thanks again for your time and help.

Best Regards

0 Karma