Dashboards & Visualizations

Why is a token value not being updated properly for a query in my dashboard?

Moonveil
Explorer

Hello,

I have a query in an XML dashboard in Splunk 6.5 which depends on a textbox input token. I've set the options so that when the input is updated, it should run the search again with the new token value. However, I am noticing that the first time I change the textbox value, the search does not run. Even stranger, when I change up the value again, it runs with the previous input value. The conditions seem to be set correctly, but it looks to me like it is running the search, and then applying the token change condition, which makes absolutely no sense. I've tried unsetting the tokens first, but that also doesn't work.

Here is my code:

<form>
  <init>
    <set token="date_value3">=*</set>
  </init>
<input type="text" token="date_value2" searchWhenChanged="true">
      <label>End Date (yyyy-MM-dd)</label>
      <default>*</default>
      <initialValue>*</initialValue>
      <change>
        <condition match="'date_value2' != &quot;*&quot;">
          <unset token="date_value3"></unset>
          <set token="date_value3">&lt;=$date_value2$</set>
        </condition>
        <condition match="'date_value2' == &quot;*&quot;">
          <unset token="date_value3"></unset>
          <set token="date_value3">=*</set>
        </condition>
      </change>
    </input>
<search>
          <query>index=logminer_alerts  date$date_value3$</query>
          <earliest>0</earliest>
          <latest></latest>
</search>

So for example, when I first open the dashboard page it will run properly with date_value3 set to "=*", as specified in the init tags.

However, say I put in "2016-03-30" into the textbox input and press enter, nothing happens.
Try again and put "2016-03-31" into the textbox, suddenly it runs, but with "2016-03-30" as the token value for date_value3. This continues for every new value, it always runs with the previous textbox value.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? This seems like a rather big bug if the search manager runs before the new token values are applied...

I should add that the reason I am trying to do this is because date<=* returns no search results, (even though date>=* works just fine). Therefore, I have to change the token to just date=* if the user puts in an asterisk. If there is a way to make date<=* work in a query and return all events, I am definitely open to suggestions.

Any help is appreciated!

0 Karma
1 Solution

Moonveil
Explorer

So I wasn't able to figure out why the tokens weren't being updated properly, but I did solve my main issue of date<=* not returning any results in the query.

I just updated my query string to <query>index=logminer_alerts (date&gt;=$date_value$ AND (date&lt;=$date_value2$ OR date=$date_value2$)) </query> and that fixed my problem. No need for the complicated token changes.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Moonveil
Explorer

So I wasn't able to figure out why the tokens weren't being updated properly, but I did solve my main issue of date<=* not returning any results in the query.

I just updated my query string to <query>index=logminer_alerts (date&gt;=$date_value$ AND (date&lt;=$date_value2$ OR date=$date_value2$)) </query> and that fixed my problem. No need for the complicated token changes.

0 Karma

lakshmisri

I am having a similar problem. The value that I am setting using the init is not getting set to the search.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...