You can easily check if its a permissions issue now. Go to Settings > Lookups and find your lookup table and identify what app it belongs to. Then go to your dashboard and verify its in the same app
yoursearch | table *
You chose the event view, you need the table command to display fields
It works in search, but not panel. I still get no results, I will have to check with admin for permissions. =(
Instead of fields * try adding the fields to search, filed extraction may not happening in dashboard since it runs search in smart mode by default.
I figured out what the issue was, it appears that the CSV does not work with as an events table. I changed the table to a statistics table and it worked!