Dashboards & Visualizations

Why does a chart in a dashboard load at different speeds depending upon when it was added to the dashboard?

Gawker
Path Finder

I have a report with the following search:

sourcetype="xxxxxxxx:xxxxxxxx" "GET /xxxxx" apiKey= | rex "(GET (?.))" | eval Page_Name=(mvindex(split(Page_String,"?"),0)) | bin _time span=1m | stats count AS Page_Requests BY _time | sort -_time | head 30

01) When I run the report, it shows a fully loaded graph in just a few seconds which includes a total of 30 1-minute span bars.

alt text

02) I added the report to the dashboard via the "+Add Panel" option on the dashboard. The dashboard chart starts loading slowly, displaying the most current minute as the first bar. The graph continues loading in this fashion, one bar/minute at a time, until all 30 bars (minutes) are populated from the data as it is generated instead of fetching the data for the prior 29 minutes.

alt text

03) If I am in the report and I add it via "Save As", then "Dashboard Panel" , "Existing", "Inline Search", the dashboard chart loads as fast as the report search does (01).

04) If I am in the report and I add it via "Save As", then "Dashboard Panel", "Existing", "Report", the dashboard chart loads slowly, behaving like (02).

Why is there a difference in behavior of the chart based on how it is added to the dashboard?

Should I always add a component from the actual report search instead of selecting the report via the dashboard option to add a panel?

Thank you.

0 Karma

elliotproebstel
Champion

This sounds to me like approaches #2 and #4 are using different time windows (maybe realtime?) than #1 and #3. Just a guess, though.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...