Dashboards & Visualizations

Why am I receiving 500 internal server error switching dashboard to advanced xml to add Google Maps?

brandonpal
Explorer

I'm trying to switch to advanced XML view so I can add Google Maps to one of my dashboards.

When I use this link: localhost:8000/en-US/app/search/syndication?showsource=advanced

I then receive the following error:

500 Internal Server Error

Return to Splunk home page

NotImplementedError: Cannot find object mapper for panel type: panel

View more information about your request (request ID = 53ed12afde7fc648512790) in Search

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Karma

nfilippi_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Can you not use the Splunk integrated maps for your use case?

0 Karma

nfilippi_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This is, to a certain extent, expected behavior.

As of Splunk 6.0, Simple XML migrated off of the module system, adopting the SplunkJS stack as the basis for the underlying rendering engine. As such, when requesting a "?showsource" of a simple xml dashboard, this would return the translated html source within splunkjs components.

Given this divergence in underlying technologies, the challenge came with users that wanted to convert their dashboard to advanced xml. The provided path "?showsource=advanced" was purely a best effort conversion to advanced xml based on the translation layer available from Splunk 5.0. As more features were added to Simple XML post 6.0, resulting in syntax updates that were not recognized by advanced xml, this would break the best effort translation to advanced xml. And now finally in Splunk 6.1 with the introduction of panels as explicit layout containers, we fundamentally are no longer able to provide even a best effort.

As a short term solution, you can go ahead and manually remove the panel containers from your simple xml source, and then try again.

With every release, we are continuing to make dashboard development easier and more powerful, with key investments in Simple XML and viz editor itself. On this note, please share with us the use cases that you are trying to build using advanced xml for potential inclusion and support in Simple XML. Thanks!

brandonpal
Explorer

I've created a dashboard to show basic information from our web servers. We are currently using the Splunk integrated map to show the locations of our site visitors but we'd rather use the Google maps app on this dashboard as it looks a lot better and shows more information.

The end goal here is to be able to include Google maps on our "web" dashboard.

0 Karma

brandonpal
Explorer

It seems it's way to big to paste in.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Would mind sharing your simple xml dashboard (syndication) code?

0 Karma

brandonpal
Explorer

We are using 6.1

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What version of SPlunk are you in?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...