Dashboards & Visualizations

Using a single value instead of chart

dolfantimmy
Path Finder

I am just getting back in to dashboards and xml after about 3 years without using it. I have an immediate issue. I have a dashboard that displays a single value on a gauge. I just want a rectangular color box. I am assuming I need to use a single. But I'm not sure what it takes to change this....

<param name="charting.chart">fillerGauge</param>
                <module name="JSChart">
                  <param name="width">100%</param>

so that it displays the box with a text value instead of using the fillergauge.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You'll want to remove the HiddenChartFormatter module and replace the JSChart module with a SingleValue module. Check out http://yoursplunkhost:8000/en-US/modules#Splunk.Module.SingleValue for more info.

If you're getting back into dashboarding after three years I highly recommend grabbing a new version of Splunk (6.1.x, or wait until Tuesday for 6.2) and check out the immensely improved abilities in SimpleXML and the graphical dashboard editor. You likely won't want to go back to AdvancedXML again.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You'll want to remove the HiddenChartFormatter module and replace the JSChart module with a SingleValue module. Check out http://yoursplunkhost:8000/en-US/modules#Splunk.Module.SingleValue for more info.

If you're getting back into dashboarding after three years I highly recommend grabbing a new version of Splunk (6.1.x, or wait until Tuesday for 6.2) and check out the immensely improved abilities in SimpleXML and the graphical dashboard editor. You likely won't want to go back to AdvancedXML again.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Okay, is your CSS correctly loaded in the browser?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Going back a few posts, do you have a field in your results called bg_darkgreen?

0 Karma

dolfantimmy
Path Finder

Yes, I appended this to the search

... | eval bg_darkgreen = "bg_darkgreen"

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could for example do this:

.single-value.yourclass {
    background-color: darkgreen;   
}

Set the class value to "yourclass" and you'll get a dark green box behind the single value.

0 Karma

dolfantimmy
Path Finder

Ok, that makes sense, but I'm not having success.

Here's a snippet of the view

<searchName>Total X</searchName>
  <title>Total X</title>
  <option name="count">10</option>
  <option name="displayRowNumbers">true</option>
  <option name="classField">bg_darkgreen</option>
</single>

And here's the entire contents of the app's application.css file

.single-value.bg_darkgreen {
background-color: darkgreen;
}

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To test this as is, append this to your search:

... | eval severe = "severe"

The Splunk will find a field severe, grab its value "severe", and set the css class to severe... which exists as "red" in Splunk's default CSS.

Once that works, you can apply this principle to use any CSS class, even ones you define yourself.

0 Karma

dolfantimmy
Path Finder

Ok, that worked. Now, how can I define my own css class, in application.css? Can I change the background color as well.

Thanks for all of your help.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The classField option references a field in your results. By setting it to "severe", you make Splunk look for a field severe in your results and use its value as the class. I'm guessing you don't have such a field in your results.

0 Karma

dolfantimmy
Path Finder

Correct, the search simply returns a single integer value.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Does your event have a field called severe that contains the class name?

0 Karma

dolfantimmy
Path Finder

I'm afraid Martin that I don't know exactly what you mean. I simply want to have a colorized box instead of a black on white number, I want the box to be colorized. Can I define color classes in the app's application.css and reference them with the classField param? If so, can you show me a simple example of the css code and how to reference it?

Thanks a ton!

0 Karma

dolfantimmy
Path Finder

I thought that was it, but the following...

<module name="SingleValue">
            <param name="field">Total Checks</param>
            <param name="afterLabel"> events</param>
            <param name="classField">severe</param>
           </module>

simple shows ## events in black, as if the classField is being ignored.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can set the classField option that grabs a field value from your result, using that as the CSS class for your single value display. For example, default range classes such as low (greenish), elevated (yellowish), severe (redish) are already defined. Beyond that you can define your own classes with whatever colour you need.

0 Karma

dolfantimmy
Path Finder

Thanks Martin. That worked. However, is there no way to define the font color that's used by the single?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...