Dashboards & Visualizations

Using Text Field ("Up", "Down") for Single Value in Dashboard and Changing Colors

aferone
Builder

I am trying to use a field in my log (status) that either says "Up" or "Down". I have to convert this into a number for the rangemap command:

<single>
      <title>Network Monitoring - Jabber</title>
      <option name="classField">range</option>
      <option name="field">status</option>    
      <searchTemplate>host=hostname sourcetype="sourcetype" | head 1 | eval alert_level = case(status=="up",1,status=="down",2) | rangemap field=alert_level green=0-0 red=1-2

(For some reason the ending /searchtemplate and /single tags are missing when I paste them into this question form.)

I cannot get this work. I also want to word "Up" or "Down" to either be green or red, respectively.

Any help would be appreciated, and thank you!

1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

I think the main thing is that there is no tag "searchTemplate" in a simple XML dashboard panel. It's "searchString." Also, you didn't have your ranges set properly.

<single>
      <searchString>host=hostname sourcetype="sourcetype" | head 1 | eval alert_level =   
              case(status=="up",1,status=="down",2) | rangemap field=alert_level low=1-1 severe=2-2
       </searchString>
</single>

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

I think the main thing is that there is no tag "searchTemplate" in a simple XML dashboard panel. It's "searchString." Also, you didn't have your ranges set properly.

<single>
      <searchString>host=hostname sourcetype="sourcetype" | head 1 | eval alert_level =   
              case(status=="up",1,status=="down",2) | rangemap field=alert_level low=1-1 severe=2-2
       </searchString>
</single>

aferone
Builder

Thank you!!

0 Karma

moisesroth
Path Finder

Nice! I was searching for this a long long time.

If you try to simulate this on "Search" it won't work. This feature works only on views/dashboards.

For understand this berravior I test it using the following generic search:

<single>
  <searchString>index=* | head 1 | eval status="up" | head 1 | eval alert_level =   
  </searchString>
</single>
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...