Dashboards & Visualizations

Splunk ui react

asncari
Engager
Hi
Im trying to follow this tutorial https://splunkui.splunk.com/Create/ComponentTutorial and i have a problem when i start the demo. The steps that im following are:
  • Navigate to an empty directory of your choice and invoke Create: mkdir -p ~/Code/MyTodoList && cd ~/Code/MyTodoList npx @splunk/create (I choose A monorepo with a React Component)

• Run setup and start the component in demo mode yarn run setup cd packages/react-todo-list yarn run start:demo

This bring me back the following errors:

ERROR in ../../node_modules/@splunk/splunk-utils/url.js 11:19-41
Module not found: Error: Can't resolve 'querystring' in 'c😕SPLUNK\Code\MyTodoList\node_modules\@splunk\splunk-utils'

BREAKING CHANGE: webpack < 5 used to include polyfills for node.js core modules by default.
This is no longer the case. Verify if you need this module and configure a polyfill for it.

If you want to include a polyfill, you need to:
        - add a fallback 'resolve.fallback: { "querystring": require.resolve("querystring-es3") }'
        - install 'querystring-es3'
If you don't want to include a polyfill, you can use an empty module like this:
        resolve.fallback: { "querystring": false }

ow can i handle this?

Thx in advance.

node -v v20.11.1

npm -v 10.2.4

yarn -v 1.22.22

I did that: npm install querystring-es3

And this is the fallback on webpack.config.js:

const path = require('path');
const { merge: webpackMerge } = require('webpack-merge');
const baseComponentConfig = require('@splunk/webpack-configs/component.config').default;

module.exports = webpackMerge(baseComponentConfig, {
    resolve: {
        fallback: { "querystring": require.resolve("querystring-es3") }
    },
    entry: {
        ReactTodoList: path.join(__dirname, 'src/ReactTodoList.jsx'),
    },
    output: {
        path: path.join(__dirname),
    }
});

But the error is the same.
Labels (2)
0 Karma

Gr0und_Z3r0
Contributor

Hi @asncari 

I just started going through this Splunk UI Toolkit and was able to resolve the issue using the following method. There needs to be an update made in the webpack config.

My setup:

node -v  v21.7.1
npm -v 10.5.0
yarn -v  1.22.22

Do the following
1. Install querystring-es3 and querystring using npm
npm i querystring-es3
npm i querystring

2. Update the webpack.config.js file (MyTodoList\packages\react-to-do-list\webpack.config.js)

const path = require('path');
const { merge: webpackMerge } = require('webpack-merge');
const baseComponentConfig = require('@splunk/webpack-configs/component.config').default;

module.exports = webpackMerge(baseComponentConfig, {
    entry: {
        ReactToDoList: path.join(__dirname, 'src/ReactToDoList.jsx'),
    },
    output: {
        path: path.join(__dirname),
    },
    resolve: {
        fallback: {
            querystring: require.resolve('querystring-es3'),
        },
    },
});

3. Now re-run the setup steps and let it build successfully and re-link any modules and then head into the react-to-do-list and execute the yarn start:demo command

your build should be successful and if you navigate to localhost:8080 you should be able to see the react app.

Note: I had a socket error ERR_SOCKET_BAD_PORT NaN exception for port 8080.
I updated the build.js file to enforce use of 8080 (/packages/react-to-do-list/bin/build.js)

demo: () => shell.exec('.\\node_modules\\.bin\\webpack serve --config .\\demo\\webpack.standalone.config.js --port 8080'),

Gr0und_Z3r0_0-1710843879517.png

If the reply helps, karma would be appreciated.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...