Dashboards & Visualizations

Setup page to change app's navigation

PavelP
Motivator

I want to allow user to change/switch the nav bar by clicking a button on the setup page. What is the easiest way to create a setup page (html + js) that changes the app's navigation menu bar (nav/default.xml)?

<nav>
 <view name="summary"/>
<collection label="NEW">
  <view name="summary_new"/>
</collection>
</nav>

to:

<nav>
 <view name="summary_new"/>
<collection label="OLD">
  <view name="summary"/>
</collection>
</nav>

Currently the user must use UI to create a custom navigation setting (by creating local/data/ui/nav/default.xml).

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @PavelP,

I believe that the Splunk app menu configuration page is indecent, for this purpose I made a request on Splunk Ideas that please vote for the idea https://ideas.splunk.com/ideas/EID-I -72 . 

In any case, the only way to do it could be a phyton script, but there would always be the problem of rights: do all users have the right to modify the menu of an app?

For these reasons, I am sorry, but I believe that your request cannot be satisfied.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

PavelP
Motivator

Thank you Giuseppe,

just voted for your EID-I-72 idea..

Then I'll stay with modifying menu using UI. The problem is there is no way to delete local/data/ui/nav/default.xml using UI. Or there is a workaround?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @PavelP,

no there isn't any way to delete it, you can only modify it by GUI, but, why do you want to delete it?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

Soon or later the default.xml need to be deleted to allow new menu items from an updated app to appear.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @PavelP,

I believe that the Splunk app menu configuration page is indecent, for this purpose I made a request on Splunk Ideas that please vote for the idea https://ideas.splunk.com/ideas/EID-I -72 . 

In any case, the only way to do it could be a phyton script, but there would always be the problem of rights: do all users have the right to modify the menu of an app?

For these reasons, I am sorry, but I believe that your request cannot be satisfied.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...