Dashboards & Visualizations

Setup page to change app's navigation

PavelP
Motivator

I want to allow user to change/switch the nav bar by clicking a button on the setup page. What is the easiest way to create a setup page (html + js) that changes the app's navigation menu bar (nav/default.xml)?

<nav>
 <view name="summary"/>
<collection label="NEW">
  <view name="summary_new"/>
</collection>
</nav>

to:

<nav>
 <view name="summary_new"/>
<collection label="OLD">
  <view name="summary"/>
</collection>
</nav>

Currently the user must use UI to create a custom navigation setting (by creating local/data/ui/nav/default.xml).

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @PavelP,

I believe that the Splunk app menu configuration page is indecent, for this purpose I made a request on Splunk Ideas that please vote for the idea https://ideas.splunk.com/ideas/EID-I -72 . 

In any case, the only way to do it could be a phyton script, but there would always be the problem of rights: do all users have the right to modify the menu of an app?

For these reasons, I am sorry, but I believe that your request cannot be satisfied.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

PavelP
Motivator

Thank you Giuseppe,

just voted for your EID-I-72 idea..

Then I'll stay with modifying menu using UI. The problem is there is no way to delete local/data/ui/nav/default.xml using UI. Or there is a workaround?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @PavelP,

no there isn't any way to delete it, you can only modify it by GUI, but, why do you want to delete it?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

Soon or later the default.xml need to be deleted to allow new menu items from an updated app to appear.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @PavelP,

I believe that the Splunk app menu configuration page is indecent, for this purpose I made a request on Splunk Ideas that please vote for the idea https://ideas.splunk.com/ideas/EID-I -72 . 

In any case, the only way to do it could be a phyton script, but there would always be the problem of rights: do all users have the right to modify the menu of an app?

For these reasons, I am sorry, but I believe that your request cannot be satisfied.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...