Dashboards & Visualizations

Routing data to a specific index from a LWF

smithjnick
Path Finder

Tried a number of variations here but to no avail.

Situation: I have a number of UFs sending data onto a LWF which then sends all data onto my indexer. On my indexer i have created an index to store the data. I am trying to route all the data into this new index from the LWF and have had little luck so far.

On the LWF i placed the following global stanza in inputs.conf:
[default]
index=mynewindex

From what i have read, this should direct all data coming in from all the UF's into mynewindex sitting on the indexer. This does not work? I swapped out the LWF with a HF and still the same result? Am i missing something from my conf files?

This did work if i added the above stanza to the inputs.conf file located on the UF's but this is not the way i want to do it. I just want one entry to manage on my LWF/HF that can achieve the same result.

I appreciate any guidance.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Like you say, this only works in inputs.conf on the Splunk instance that originally picks up the event data. To change the index on a forwarding Splunk instance between the UF and the indexer, this forwarder needs to be a heavy forwarder so you can parse and rewrite the events' metadata. Once you have that, you add settings in props.conf and transforms.conf to rewrite which index events should go to. To create a default rule, this should do:

props.conf:

[default]
TRANSFORMS-index = setdefaultindex

transforms.conf:

[setdefaultindex]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index
FORMAT = mynewindex
0 Karma

Ayn
Legend
  1. Use a SOURCE_KEY match in your setdefaultindex transform.

SOURCE_KEY = _MetaData:Index
    REGEX = indexyouwantthistoapplyto
    DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index
    FORMAT = mynewindex

2. It's a default rule, so it would rewrite everything.

0 Karma

smithjnick
Path Finder

Couple of q's on this:

1 - I only wish to receive UF win events into 'mynewindex' and not the splunkd stuff from the HF. What would be the best way to achieve this? Do i need splunkd info? If so can i redirect somewhere else?

2 - Would your solution also redirect syslogs into 'mynewindex' or does it just concern itself with tcp9997 data?

thanks
nick

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...