Dashboards & Visualizations

Restrict user access to a particular field in the datamodel in the dashboard

VC01
Loves-to-Learn

I want to restrict a user access based on the field present in the datamodel, however under roles->restrictions, even after entering the datamodel field and its value,  it is not filtering the data. This is required because in the dashboard, the user is seeing all the data in the datamodel. How can this be achieved? Thanks in advance!

Eg: User - Test01

Datamodel Field - testfield

Test01 user should see the dashboard with the datamodel data filtered by the above testfield

Labels (2)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @VC01,

it isn't possible to restrict access to only one field.

You have two workarounds, always related to a role associated to that user:

• create another Data Model for this role without the field that's continously updated from the main Data Model;
  • create, for this role a dashboard with only the permitted fields with open on search feature disabled, to avoid direct access to data.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

VC01
Loves-to-Learn

Hi @gcusello , I don't want to restrict access to only one field, i want to filter it by that one field. In this case, I had already created a dashboard by restricting the role to that datamodel field with a specific value in the user role with open search feature disabled, but it's still not restricting based on that value.

When the restriction is done based on the index field its working fine, but i want to accomplish the same when working with datamodel.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @VC01,

in this case, only my first option is possible.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...