Dashboards & Visualizations

RegEx for splitting data

Kaushaas
Explorer

Hi All,

I have a raw message which contains Action name like below :

CommBank.Api.PricingExtractor.Controllers.EventPublishController.PublishEventsToKafkaTopics (CommBank.Api.PricingExtractor)

which I  have extracted using below regular expression 

rex field=message "ActionName\\\":\\\"(?<ActionName>[^\\\"]+)"

Is there a way to extract only last part after "." and before "("   i.e "PublishEventsToKafkaTopics" just this I tried few ways but was getting error.

Any help will be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can try this

| rex field=message "ActionName\\\":\\\"(\w+\.)*(?<ActionName>\w+)"

which will look for all package names up to the last . and then extract the class name based on \w+ rather than everything up to the final quote

If your package or class names contain chars other than \w then adjust accordingly.

View solution in original post

mitcheljohns

Regular expressions (RegEx) are powerful tools for splitting data based on patterns. dish tv billing issues Use split() with a RegEx pattern to segment text into manageable components, such as dividing a string by commas or spaces. For instance, split(/[,\s]+/). Customize patterns to match specific delimiters or structures in data, ensuring accurate segmentation for tasks like parsing CSV files or extracting structured information from unformatted text.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can try this

which will look for all package names up to the last . and then extract the class name based on \w+ rather than everything up to the final quote

If your package or class names contain chars other than \w then adjust accordingly.

Kaushaas
Explorer

This worked thanks a lot

0 Karma

Kaushaas
Explorer

@bowesmana  
Thanks for the solution 

this worked tried similar thing to extract name from below url using below reg ex what did I miss it didnot work i replaced . to /? If you could ecplain to it will be helpful

URL --- /api/v1/Publish   value expected ---- Publish

| rex field=message "reqPath\\\":\\\"(\w+\/)*(?<reqPath>\w+)"

Thanks a ton in advance

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this

| rex field=message "reqPath\\\":\\\".*/(?<reqPath>\w+)"

where the .* is a greedy capture up to the final / character

0 Karma

glc_slash_it
Path Finder

Hi,

try this after your rex.

| rex field=ActionName "\.([^\.]+)\s*\("

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

How to Get Started with Splunk Data Management Pipeline Builders (Edge Processor & ...

If you want to gain full control over your growing data volumes, check out Splunk’s Data Management pipeline ...

Out of the Box to Up And Running - Streamlined Observability for Your Cloud ...

Tech Talk Streamlined Observability for Your Cloud Environment Register    Out of the Box to Up And Running ...

Splunk Smartness with Brandon Sternfield | Episode 3

Hello and welcome to another episode of "Splunk Smartness," the interview series where we explore the power of ...