Dashboards & Visualizations

Min , Max functions not returning expected in search

LNS
Engager

Hi,

I have some single string log statements looking like the following:

INFO ControllerNameHere f1d46561-b382-4685-9d7a-ebd76f40c355 EXT | <action> | Time 80

I want to make a query that groups the <action> types and then calculates the min, max and avg of the Time part of the string. So far i have had success with average:

index=my_index* host=hostName EXT | rex field=_raw "(EXT \| )(?<CategoryString>.+)( \| Time)" | rex field=_raw "(\| Time)(?<TimeValue>.+)" | stats mean(TimeValue) BY CategoryString

which returns the mean value of all entries. The data foundation of the query looks like:

LNS_1-1634889752858.png

All is grouped by 4 actions per one request, meaning that the first action: has the following values: 80, 45, 71, 63, 458.

When i then run the above query i get a correct result with mean:

LNS_2-1634889863973.png

But when switching to e.g. max, i get a maximum value of 80. which seems wrong, however it corresponds to the latest value. What am i missing here?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

LNS
Engager

I forgot to add a space after my Time in the query:

| rex field=_raw "(EXT \| )(?<CategoryString>.+)( \| Time)" | rex field=_raw "(\| Time )(?<TimeValue>.+)" | stats count, mean(TimeValue) as Average BY CategoryString | table CategoryString count Average

I assume the value was then read as a string instead of a number.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if mean() did some implicit casting to a numeric value while max() treated the field as text (thus max value in the lexicographic order would indeed be "80"). Try casting it to a number field by

| eval TimeValue=tonumber(TimeValue)

and then doing your stats

0 Karma

LNS
Engager

I forgot to add a space after my Time in the query:

| rex field=_raw "(EXT \| )(?<CategoryString>.+)( \| Time)" | rex field=_raw "(\| Time )(?<TimeValue>.+)" | stats count, mean(TimeValue) as Average BY CategoryString | table CategoryString count Average

I assume the value was then read as a string instead of a number.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...