Dashboards & Visualizations

Meaning of OSSEC dashboard pie graph count values

branchbunch
Explorer

In the OSSEC dashboard, what do the count values mean for the elements of the various "Top N" pie graphs? For example, at the moment in my "Top Signatures" pie graph, the count value for "Windows Error Event" is 42 but if I click on that element, the search results that come up exceed 250 records. I'm running version 1.1.81 of OSSEC for Splunk 4, on Splunk 4.2.

0 Karma

southeringtonp
Motivator

This is a known bug in builds prior to 1.1.83.

It's showing the top 10 but the results are being clustered/grouped -- e.g., you get the top 10 users, but counting the user only once for a given reporting_host/severity/user. When you drill down, it swaps out the search and you see the full result set.

0 Karma

branchbunch
Explorer

Hi, I just untarred 1.1.84 directly on top of my /opt/splunk/etc/apps/ossec directory (which was 1.1.82) and indeed my dashboard counts look reasonable now. Thanks!

southeringtonp
Motivator

If you haven't already, can you give the latest build on SplunkBase a try and see if it's still an issue for you?

0 Karma

southeringtonp
Motivator

Looks like the fix didn't make into the SplunkBase upload. The fix is probably sitting in local -- once I get back to my dev box I'll re-upload and bump the version number.

0 Karma

branchbunch
Explorer

Thanks for the clarification. So if it was a known bug previous to 1.1.82 then should I expect to see total (no clustered/grouped) alert counts in the "Top N" pie graphs and their respective tables? I'm asking because I just upgraded to 1.1.82 and it seems to look the same as before.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...