Dashboards & Visualizations

Is there a way to remove the "Open in Search, Inspect, and Export" options from the bottom of the dashboard?

jravida
Communicator

Hi folks,

I want to remove these so management doesn't start clicking on them and asking me a million questions. I just want them to see the dashboards, no drill down, and no search/export/inspect. I can't seem to find the option that removes these, and I am almost sure I've seen it before.

Thanks!

Joe

Tags (3)
1 Solution

nfilippi_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@nidhigoyal is correct. Using "link.visible" should disable all links at the bottom of the panel, where you also have the ability to disable individually if you need.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.4/Viz/PanelreferenceforSimplifiedXML

Use the syntax shown below within each panel element:

<!-- disable all panel links -->
<option name="link.visible">false</option>

<!-- selectively disable each of the links -->
<option name="refresh.link.visible">false</option>
<option name="link.openSearch.visible">false</option>
<option name="link.openPivot.visible">false</option>
<option name="link.inspectSearch.visible">false</option>
<option name="link.exportResults.visible">false</option>

View solution in original post

proylea
Contributor

You could also completely hide the whole grey panel footer and sliding size bar with this bit of css.

.dashboard-row .dashboard-panel .ui-resizable-handle{
   display: none !important;
}
.dashboard-row .dashboard-panel .dashboard-element .panel-footer {
   display: none;
}

Kuj
Engager

Coooool 🙂

0 Karma

nfilippi_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@nidhigoyal is correct. Using "link.visible" should disable all links at the bottom of the panel, where you also have the ability to disable individually if you need.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.4/Viz/PanelreferenceforSimplifiedXML

Use the syntax shown below within each panel element:

<!-- disable all panel links -->

<!-- selectively disable each of the links -->
<option name="refresh.link.visible">false</option>
<option name="link.openSearch.visible">false</option>
<option name="link.openPivot.visible">false</option>
<option name="link.inspectSearch.visible">false</option>
<option name="link.exportResults.visible">false</option>

grittonc
Contributor

The export button will not work if you are using a post-processing search, so if you are trying to enable it and it's not working that might be why.

See https://answers.splunk.com/answers/550070/why-export-button-is-grayed-out-in-some-of-my-pane.html.

cbhattad
Path Finder

Is it possible to do this per user/role?
We want some users to have the export feature but not for others

0 Karma

JL99
Explorer

Hi according to the suggestion, I have tried out and successfully getting the expected behavior that only "admin" role users can have the options to do "Open in Search"/"Export" and etc... Amend the SPL search accordingly to what you desire to achieve

<!-- Running searches and gaining role value for current user -->
<search>
<query>| rest /services/authentication/current-context | search username!=splunk-system-user
| fields roles </query>
<earliest>-15m</earliest>
<latest>now</latest>
<done>
<eval token="search_visible">if($result.roles$=="admin","true","false")</eval>
</done>
</search>
<!-- Running searches and gaining role value for current user -->

<!-- selectively disable only exporting fucntion -->
<!-- admin role can export, other roles can't  etc etc..-->

<option name="link.exportResults.visible">$search_visible$</option>

0 Karma

genesiusj
Builder

@cbhattad
Take a look at my post here.
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/793588/is-it-possible-to-assign-a-token-value-to-a-user-o.html

While it doesn't directly answer your question, you should be able to use the same logic to assign a token value of "false" or "true" to the
<option name="link.visible">$tok_Vis$</option> to obtain your required result.

Note, however, that even though search, and therefore the SPL that runs it, is not available, a savy user could right-click and view page source on the webpage. They could then filter through the
source and pick out your search code.

Hope this helps.
Thanks and God bless,
Genesius

0 Karma

rt99home

The above suggestion was working for version 6.1;

However, "Open in search", "inspect" and "export" options cannot be removed from splunk enterprise 6.3 version as suggested above. Can someone confirm?

0 Karma

ydeveloper

nice !!!!

0 Karma

MattZerfas
Communicator

According to the docs for 6.3 it should still work the same.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.0/Viz/PanelreferenceforSimplifiedXML

0 Karma

nidhigoyal
Explorer
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...