Dashboards & Visualizations

Is there a way to backup/export a dashboard

mcdermottsteven
Engager

I have a couple of dashboards that I want to migrate from one splunk instance to another.

Is there an easy way to backup/export a dashboard and recover/import it again?

Tags (3)

NK_1
Path Finder

Splunk 6.1.3

Go to Dashboards. Edit selected dashboard, and pick "Edit Source (XML)".

In your new instance, create a dummy dashboard, go to Edit Source (XML), and paste this XML in there and Save.

Might be a good idea to version-control that XML source somewhere too.

nils1433
Explorer

what worked for me was to convert the dashboard to an html (wich is not nessesary) and copy the text from the sourcefile to a .txt file on a flashdrive wich i carry with me 24/7, that way it can't be easily compromised and it's a way of backing up a dashboard while working with familliar filetypes and small file sizes. excuse me for the grammar.

when you want to retrieve a dashboard, you just take the .txt file, copy the contents of the file to your clipboard, create a new (HTML) dashboard and paste the contents of your clipboard in your newly created dasboard sourcecode.

0 Karma

tmarlette
Motivator

I have had success in this using scripting languages.

We use perl / bash or if you have windows you can use batch files to copy the UI files mentioned above to a new location.

Also... keep in mind that if you don't share your UI views globally, they may also be in the
/opt/splunk/etc/users/< user name >/ folder

0 Karma

sbrant_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Dashboards are stored on your Splunk search head in xml format. You can find them in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps//local/data/ui/views

Note: If you have a default install and you haven't created your own apps, it's likely that your dashboards are in the search app.

sbrant_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Your dashboards must exist in another app, other than search then. You can determine which app by looking at the URL when you're viewing the dashboard in question.

http://:8000/en-US/app//

0 Karma

mcdermottsteven
Engager

Ok So I do indeed have a default install so I'm looking in:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/local/data/ui/views

But its empty. I see the saved searches are in the:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/local/

folder in the savedsearches.conf & viewstates.conf files but I don't believe the dashboard files are there?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...