Dashboards & Visualizations

Is there a smart conversion of large numbers to human readable for use on dashboard?

alfski

Hi, is there a splunk equivalent to the Linux "numfmt" command?

I have a dashboard showing disk usage, captured in bytes. And I want to display the number in "human readable format", some disks will be Mb, Gb, some will be Tb. I'd prefer to not simply divide by 1024. 

I'm guessing there's a clever number formatter in splunk like there is in Linux?

$ numfmt --to=si 122345
$ numfmt --to=si 122345678
123M
$ numfmt --to=si 1223456789012
1.3T

Cheers, Andrew

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

tfujita_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Perhaps this could be a solution.

| makeresults count=35
```THIS SECTION IS JUST CREATING SAMPLE VALUES.```
| streamstats count as digit
| eval val=pow(10,digit-1), val=val+random()%val
| foreach si [eval <<FIELD>>=val]
| table digit val si
| fieldformat val=tostring(val,"commas")

```THE FOLLOWING LINES MAY BE WHAT ACHIEVES THE FORMAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.```
| fieldformat si=printf("% 7.2f",round(si/pow(1024,if(si=0,0,floor(min(log(si,1024),10)))),2)).case(si=0 OR log(si,1024)<1," B", log(si,1024)<2," KiB", log(si,1024)<3," MiB", log(si,1024)<4," GiB", log(si,1024)<5," TiB", log(si,1024)<6," PiB", log(si,1024)<7," EiB", log(si,1024)<8," ZiB", log(si,1024)<9," YiB", log(si,1024)<10," RiB", log(si,1024)<11," QiB", 1=1, " QiB")

tfujita_splunk_0-1675477308718.png

If you wish to achieve something similar in decimal rather than in 1024-byte units, the following macros can be useful.

Numeral system macros for Splunk

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/6595

Usage:

How to convert a large number to string with expressions of long and short scales, or neither.

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/How-to-convert-a-large-number-to-string-with-expressio...

0 Karma

tfujita_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I added macros for binary symbols to the add-on Numeral system macros for Splunk v1.1.1 

Now you can also use macros numeral_binary_symbol(1) or numeral_binary_symbol(2).

Example

| makeresults count=35
```THIS SECTION IS JUST CREATING SAMPLE VALUES.```
| streamstats count as digit
| eval val=pow(10,digit-1), val=val+random()%val
| foreach bytes [eval <<FIELD>>=val]
| table digit val bytes
| fieldformat val=tostring(val,"commas")

```THE FOLLOWING LINES MAY BE WHAT ACHIEVES THE FORMAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.```
| fieldformat bytes=printf("% 10s",`numeral_binary_symbol(bytes,2)`)

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't believe there's a way to convert that way found, but you can always create a macro so it would be simple within the SPL

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...