Dashboards & Visualizations

Is there a maximum size limitation for panels?

cdtrialsplunk
Explorer

Is there a maximum size limitation for panels? I created a custom visualization that displays rows of multiple single value results. I tried manually increasing the panel size to it's maximum through the UI editor and also tried increasing the default_height attribute in the visualization.conf file. It seems to be limited at 15 rows and there will be much greater 15 rows in the results. It also won't allow scrolling past 15 rows to see the additional rows of results graphically. Any hints or guidance on how to enable scrolling to see additional results is appreciated.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@cdtrialsplunk I am not sure whether there is any limitation of 15 rows that is applicable by default while building Splunk Custom Visualization. So I would expect the limitation in your custom code rather than Splunk Custom Visualization API related. You might have to provide more specifics of your code for the community to better assist you. Or else if you have valid Splunk Entitlement or Professional Services Support, you can work with them to have your issue/s resolved.

Refer to Waterfall Custom Visualization where I had provided an option to set Width and Height through UI > Edit > Format Visualization option.

There are several Custom Visualizations on Splunkbase that translate more than 15 rows to visual cues (I am just posting couple of them) :

Status Matrix Custom Viz: https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3205/
Network Topology Custom Visualization: https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3762/

So, more than 15 rows should not be a problem.

cdtrialsplunk
Explorer

For a panel, what is the maximum height in pixels that is supported?

nvonkorff
Path Finder

I am also looking for an answer to this question. I believe it is 1000px, based on resizing a panel to the maximum allowable height, which sets the XML to:

<option name="height">1000</option>

I have tried extending the height beyond that limit by changing the option value above, e.g. 2000px, but it seems to have no effect beyond 1000px.

Does anyone know if there is any way to override that 1000px limit for panel height?

It would be very handy for certain visualisations and for different screen orientations (portrait) to be able to go beyond that limit.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Try CSS Style override for setting panel height. If you have panel id="panelWithHeight", then use the following CSS override

#panelWithHeight .panel-body{
   height: 2000px !important;
}

nvonkorff
Path Finder

Hi @niketn 

Thanks for the response. It did work, in that it made the panel larger, but didn't actually fix the issue I'm facing.

I'm trying to use this add-on: https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4460/ and trying to get it to display correctly with around 170+ entries.

After about 120 rows or so (and at the maximum panel height), the the legend text next to each row starts getting mushed together and the text and rows don't align correctly.

When I added the CSS override you suggested, the panel height increased, but the visualisation height remained the same.

Is there any CSS override that is specific to a visualisation that I could modify, or would that need to be done in the visualisation CSS?

Thanks. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@nvonkorff if your request is specifically for the Heat Map Custom Viz enhancement, you can reach out to developer who has built pretty cool visualizations and pretty active with updates to his viz as per request.

Alternatively, if you want to plot heat map, you can do the same using Splunk Table visualization as well 🙂. Following is a thread where I have provided Table with SimpleXML CSS Extension for generating this kind of view.

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Dashboards-Visualizations/Is-there-a-way-to-display-more-than-20-cha...

cdtrialsplunk
Explorer

Thank you. I will take a look at these examples.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...