Dashboards & Visualizations

Is it possible to map a source and destination IP on a single cluster map?

JackM15
Engager

Hello,

I am trying to use one cluster map to visualize the locations of a user's source and destination IPs for Duo logs. Currently, I have two separate cluster maps for each.

Source IP Address Query:

index="duo" extracted_eventtype=authentication_v2 user.name="$user.name$" access_device.ip!="NULL"
| iplocation access_device.ip
| geostats count by City

Destination IP Address Query:

index="duo" extracted_eventtype=authentication_v2 user.name="$user.name$" auth_device.ip!="NULL"
| iplocation auth_device.ip
| geostats count by City

I'm somewhat new to visualizations and dashboarding, and was hoping for some assistance on writing a combined query that would display both source and destination IPs on a cluster map.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm assuming that the src and destination are in the same event, so geostats will not expand multivalue fields, so you will first have to duplicate the events and then do the geostats, like this

index="duo" extracted_eventtype=authentication_v2 user.name="$user.name$" (access_device.ip!="NULL" OR auth_device.ip!="NULL")
| eval ip=mvappend('access_device.ip', 'auth_device.ip')
| fields ip
| mvexpand ip
| iplocation ip
| geostats count by City

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm assuming that the src and destination are in the same event, so geostats will not expand multivalue fields, so you will first have to duplicate the events and then do the geostats, like this

index="duo" extracted_eventtype=authentication_v2 user.name="$user.name$" (access_device.ip!="NULL" OR auth_device.ip!="NULL")
| eval ip=mvappend('access_device.ip', 'auth_device.ip')
| fields ip
| mvexpand ip
| iplocation ip
| geostats count by City

0 Karma

JackM15
Engager

Thanks so much! This worked for me. Not super related, but do you know if it's possible to display the IP addresses instead of longitude and latitude on the cluster map?

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not really on a cluster map after geostats, because you can't split by City and IP. However, you can use the Maps+ app, which has way way more options for customisation

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3124

You wouldn't then use geostats, but stats count by City, ip and then in the maps+ app you can configure all sorts of things, such as map layers, HTML tooltips and so on.

The app has a number of good examples of how to use it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...