Dashboards & Visualizations

How would I avoid negative value in trend indicator when using single value visualization?

ojtoids
Explorer

I am trying to build a trending dashboard of the count of tickets we get. With the below query, I am trying to display the increase/decrease in the count of tickets we got for each type for the past two weeks.

index=tickets
Status IN ("Open", "Pending") earliest=-14D@w0 latest=@w0
| dedup ticketid 
| eval ticket_type=case(like(Tags,"%tag1%"),"Type1",
like(Tags,"%tag2%") AND !like(Tags,"%tag1%"), "Type2",
like(Tags,"%tag3%") AND !like(Tags,"%tag1%") AND !like(Tags,"%tag2%") , "Type3") 
| timechart usenull=f span=1w count by ticket_type

type.png
The problem is whenever we have more count(tickets) for the previous week, it shows the data with a "-" minus sign. 

Question:

1. Not able to understand why a "-" would be there for a count.  
2. Is there a way to suppress the "-" sign ?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

dural_yyz
Communicator

I'm sure there is a math option to turn the negative number to the same value on the positive side of the scale.  However, once you change the negative to a positive you will change the direction of the arrows.  It would constantly appear as though your period over period value is increasing.

TL;DR: The direction of the arrow is directly tied to a positive or negative value. 

You can just do the single value without trend but I have a feeling that is not what you are after.

0 Karma

ojtoids
Explorer

Yes, having a single value would defeat its purpose of showing trend comparison to last week.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...