Dashboards & Visualizations

How to use two time ranges in one search

anuremanan88
Explorer

Hi I am trying to search for two event types each in different time range. Here i am using time token. The eventtypes are "Password Change" and "Login". When i apply search for last 4 hrs, my query should search "password change" event for last 4 hrs and "login" event for last 8hrs. Similarly when i change the time filter my query should change accordingly.

index=new (EventType="Password Change" earliest=$token.earliest$ latest=$token.earliest$) OR (EventType="Login" earliest=$token.earliest$-4h latest=$token.earliest$) | remaining query

Anyone can help me in this?

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

try this:

index=new (EventType="Password Change" earliest=$earliest.earliest$) OR (EventType="Login" earliest=$earliest.earliest$-4h latest=$earliest.earliest$)

to see the token for earliest, use <form script="showtokens.js"> at the top of the source code. when i was testing it, my earliest was $earliest.earliest$, not $token.earliest$. You don't need to put a latest in your first search, if you're looking for the last four hours. if you do want a latest, perhaps use latest=$earliest.earliest$+4h

<form script="showtokens.js">
  <label>testdash</label>
  <fieldset submitButton="true">
    <input type="time" token="earliest">
      <label></label>
      <default>
        <earliest>-24h@h</earliest>
        <latest>now</latest>
      </default>
    </input>
  </fieldset>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <table>
        <search>
          <query>index=myindex (sourcetype=mysource1 earliest=$earliest.earliest$) OR (sourcetype=mysource2 earliest=$earliest.earliest$-4h latest=$earliest.earliest$)|stats earliest(_time) latest(_time) by sourcetype</query>
          <earliest>-4h@h</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
        </search>
        <option name="drilldown">none</option>
      </table>
    </panel>
  </row>
</form>
0 Karma

anuremanan88
Explorer

Hi ,

Thank You for your inputs. This worked when i use relative time as input. However when i give Date and time range as input. i am getting the below error

Invalid value "1506657600-4h" for time term 'earliest'

Hoe to fix this?

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@ anuremanan88, Try $earliest.earliest$-14400 instead of $earliest.earliest$-4h

anuremanan88
Explorer

It gives the same result " Invalid value "1506657600-14400" for time term 'earliest' "

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@anuremanan88, I think you need to use sub-searches for two different EventType with specific timerange using earliest and latest. You can use append, join, multisearch or union command based on your use case(search type). Refer to the following documentation for deciding your option/s:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Search/Abouteventcorrelation
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Multisearch
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Union

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...