Dashboards & Visualizations

How to sort by date mm-dd-yy

dinuManick
Engager

For my dashboard, I am using the following regex. Although the current date is displayed at the end of the dashboard and the oldest date is displayed at the top, I require the date format to be mm-dd-yy only. My dashboard should show the most recent date at the top. Give me your finest recommendations, please.

| eval date=strftime(_time, "%m-%d-%y") | stats count by date,

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Format your time after stats and sorting

| bin _time span=1d
| stats count by _time
| sort 0 - _time
| fieldformat _time=strftime(_time,"%m-%d-%y")

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Manipulating date in string format is counter-productive. Either render your date to string at the very end of your pipeline or (even better) use fieldformat to display the field in string format but keep it in numerical form so it's easier to deal with.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

here is one way to do it

| eval date=strftime(_time,"%m-%d-%y"), date_s = strftime(_time, "%Y%m%d")
| stats count values(date) as date by date_s
| sort 0 - date_s
| table date count

You are needing a field which is numeric and can sorted by your wanted way.

r. Ismo 

0 Karma

dinuManick
Engager

Super , This is functioning, however the column is shifting. But thank you, I now have a solution.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Format your time after stats and sorting

| bin _time span=1d
| stats count by _time
| sort 0 - _time
| fieldformat _time=strftime(_time,"%m-%d-%y")

dinuManick
Engager

Fantastic, many thanks This appears simple, and my output hasn't changed, i got latest date in top of the table now . Thank you

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...