Dashboards & Visualizations

How to pass 'free' text input from a dropdown into query

vidhya
Observer

Hi,

I am looking for help for the following

My Panel intakes a combination of two inputs 'index' and 'customerID' in the query. It has a dropdown with static 'index' and 'customerID' values.  The requirement is how can i enable search for a customerID value which is outside these static values.

For e.g. when i enter '123456' in the dropdown, it should pass value 'index=*,customerID='123456' in the query(considering '123456' was not in static drop down values).

Appreciate your help on this!

Labels (4)
0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @vidhya 

Following panel code $customer_id_tok$ will get updated with selected dropdown value and output would be something like this - index=main customerid="123", index=main customerid="1234" etc..  i have considered static customerid values in drop-down for testing you can populate same using dynamic search. In xml <prefix>, <suffix> elements are the key for this to work..

<row>
    <panel>
      <input type="dropdown" token="customer_id_tok">
        <label>dropdown menu</label>
        <choice value="123">123</choice>
        <choice value="1234">1234</choice>
        <choice value="12345">12345</choice>
        <prefix>index=main customerid="</prefix>
        <suffix>"</suffix>
      </input>
      <table>
        <title>Panel title</title>
        <search>
         <query> [your query goes here] $customer_id_tok$ </query>
          <earliest>-24h@h</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
        </search>
        <option name="drilldown">none</option>
      </table>
    </panel>
  </row>

------------------------------------------------

An upvote would be appreciated if it helps! 

Tags (3)
0 Karma

vidhya
Observer

@venkatasri 

Thankyou so much for your response. Perhaps i was not able to explain my query in a better way.

Let us say in the example that you have shared below, i need to search for customerID='4532' (a value not available in static dropdown). The current implementation would only allow me to chose 123, 1234, 12345(available static values). 
In case the customerID value is not available in static values,  i want to pass customer_id_tok  as index=main customerid='4532'.

Please advise .

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Take a look here for some options to solve this.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...