Dashboards & Visualizations

How to identify user that connects to more than 1 box?

SecDesh
Path Finder

Search Query:
index=winevent source="WinEventLog:Security" EventCode="4624
| stats count by user Source_Network_Address

Output utilizing Sankey visualization:

User A                                                                                      10.20.30.40
Target                                          Count                                    Source                                               Count
- 10.20.30.40                                   26                                    User A                                                       26
                                                                                                        User B                                                       30

User B                                                                                      10.20.30.50
Target                                          Count                                    Source                                               Count
- 10.20.30.40                                   30                                    User B                                                       10
- 10.20.30.50                                   10

How do I only identify Users that have connected to more than 1 box? I attempted to use the Where function/argument however I may inputting the syntax incorrectly since it provides no results.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

SanjayReddy
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SecDesh 

Can you please try this 

UPDATED REPLY

| stats values(Source_Network_Address)  as SAN by  user 
| eval Total=mvcount(SAN)
| where Total>1

View solution in original post

SanjayReddy
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SecDesh 

Can you please try this 

UPDATED REPLY

| stats values(Source_Network_Address)  as SAN by  user 
| eval Total=mvcount(SAN)
| where Total>1

SecDesh
Path Finder

The query you provided does work, however it does not work for the Sankey Diagram visualization, much less any other visualization beyond a statistics table since any other doesn't display the IPs, just users and count. I'm assuming because there's now a third/fourth variable. It also doesn't provide the counts for each connection attempt to the IP. However the information is great and I'll see if I can mess around to perfect it. Any other tidbits or help would be greatly appreciated.

Output:

user                                                SAN                                                    Total
User A                                           10.20.30.40                                     2

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...