Dashboards & Visualizations
Highlighted

How to dynamically display the username of the current logged in user in the app navigation menu?

Path Finder

Hi,

I would like to put the current username in the app navigation menu. New on Splunk and I don't understand everything.

I guess one way is to use a parameter in the default.xml file. For example:

<param name="search">search | rest /services/authentication/current-context | table username</param>

Found on this post:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/338919/how-do-i-get-the-current-logged-in-username-in-spl.html
But I don't know how to set a view name dynamically.

I think it could be possible to use JavaScript, but I'm not very comfortable with it.

If someone can help me, it will be pretty cool (even with a JS solution if there's great explications ^^)

Cheers

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: How to dynamically display the username of the current logged in user in the app navigation menu?

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Does the current location not suffice?

alt text

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: How to dynamically display the username of the current logged in user in the app navigation menu?

Path Finder

I work for a customer that want this in the nav menu =s (For me it's useless...)

0 Karma
Highlighted

Engager

I believe The requirement is to display it in a custom dashboard and fetch similar data related to the username

0 Karma
Highlighted

Contributor

Hi MaryvonneMB,

For use this, the command must be like this only:

| rest /services/authentication/current-context | table username

Then, you put this inside your XML.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

Just like this, not in any specific tag?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

Finally, dealing with JS I find a solution:
I get the last 'a' tag, get the parent (li), duplicate and change children attribute I want. Then I append it to the last

• var $str = $( ".nav-item.shared-appbar-navitem.nav-item-" ).find($('a[title="DECONNEXION"]'));              
    var $li=$str.parent();
    $topList=$li.clone()
    $topList.children().attr('href',"");
    $topList.children().attr('title',"USERNAME");                                                   $topList.children().text(nameShow);                                             
    $ul=$li.parent();   
    $topList.appendTo($ul);

</li>

View solution in original post

0 Karma
    Highlighted

Engager

I Could not paste this script in the dashboard and it gives an error, can someone give me steps on how to include this in the dashboard

0 Karma