Dashboards & Visualizations

How to drilldown on a table that uses display values from a lookup

DaClyde
Contributor

I have a dashboard with two levels of drilldowns. The first dashboard is a list of servers. Click on a server name and it gives you a list of that server's clients. Click on a client name and it shows you information from that client.

What I want to do is use a lookup to show a "friendly name" (like a business unit or division) instead of the actual server name. The problem I run into is that now the "friendly name" is what gets passed on as the $click.value$ to the client list. How can I display a "friendly name" but still have the drilldown use the original server name value on the drill down?

0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Rename the ugly field to _uglyfield, and use $row._uglyfield$ in your drilldown. The underscore will make the table hide the field.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Rename the ugly field to _uglyfield, and use $row._uglyfield$ in your drilldown. The underscore will make the table hide the field.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not sure if it exists explicitly, but implicitly somewhere by stating that underscore fields are internal/hidden... Feel free to leave docs feedback in the dashboarding docs.

0 Karma

DaClyde
Contributor

Beautiful, that worked perfectly! Where is that little nugget in the documentation?

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you're using table visualization, you can have your search query to have both actual server name as well as friendly name, but use <fields> element to display only the friendly name. The actual server name will still be available at drilldown. You would've to use $row.fieldnameforActualServer$ instead of $click.value$. See this

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/6.6.3/Viz/PanelreferenceforSimplifiedXML#table

DaClyde
Contributor

It has been awhile, but I'm back working on this. If I don't include the servername field in the <fields> list, it isn't passed in the drill down. If I include it in the <fields> list it shows up in the search results, but the drill down works.

What am I missing? How do I make the servername field available, but not visible in the initial results table?

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Other option you've is, pass the "Friendly name" to drilldown/client search, and then where you're using host filter (earlier when you were using host name), use a subsearch which uses that friendly name to fetch host names from the lookup. E.g.

Server List query:

| inputlookup yourlookup.csv | table FriendlyNameCol, hostNameCol | stats count by FriendlyNameCol | table FriendlyNameCol

When clicked it'll pass FriendlyNameCol value as $click.value$.

Client List query:

index=foo sourcetype=bar [ | inputlookup yourlookup.csv | where FriendlyNameCol="$drilldownToken$" | table hostNameCol] | .. rest of the search

DaClyde
Contributor

3 years later, I'm finally getting around to using this and it works great.  Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...