Dashboards & Visualizations

How to create a dynamic dropdown in Dashboard Studio?

vishalrohila

I have been struggling to create a dynamic dropdown in Splunk Dashboard studio. I have watched several video but I think they mostly talk about Classic Dashboards. I have also read the documentation but it has been of no help.

My Sample Problem is:

A: B,C,D

W: X,Y,Z

I want to create two dropdowns.
Dropdown1: A, W
Dropdown 2: 

• If "A", then "B","C,"D" options
  • If "B", then "X","Y,"Z" options

I am unable to figure out how to do this. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you all.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

danspav
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @vishalrohila,

You can create dynamic dropdowns by creating searches that populate based on the value of tokens.

For example, you can create a dropdown to let users pick either A or W, and that sets a token, $A_or_W$

Then, in the second dropdown you can populate the list based on a lookup, search, or faking the results, and filter out based on what should be shown for A or W.

Faking the search to make the options:

|  makeresults
|  eval parent="a;w"
|  makemv parent delim=";"
|  mvexpand parent
|  eval options=case(parent="a", "a;b;c", parent="w", "x;y;z")
|  makemv options delim=";"
|  mvexpand options
|  search parent="$A_or_W$"
|  table options

With that configured, you get a dropdown for A or W selection, which then populates the second dropdown with ABC or XYZ.

danspav_0-1705545413351.png

Your example was fairly generic, so your actual use case might be a better fit for a lookup, with Parent / Label / Value fields. Either way, they list can be filtered by the first lookup.

Here's the Dashboard code for you to try out:

{"visualizations":{},
"dataSources":{"ds_gKyzOqv5":{"type":"ds.search","options":{"query":"|  makeresults\n|  eval parent=\"a;w\"\n|  makemv parent delim=\";\"\n|  mvexpand parent\n|  eval options=case(parent=\"a\", \"a;b;c\",parent=\"w\", \"x;y;z\")\n|  makemv options delim=\";\"\n| mvexpand options\n|  search parent=\"$A_or_W$\"\n|  table options"},"name":"dropdown"}},
"defaults":{"dataSources":{"ds.search":{"options":{"queryParameters":{"latest":"$global_time.latest$","earliest":"$global_time.earliest$"}}}}},
"inputs":{"input_global_trp":{"type":"input.timerange","options":{"token":"global_time","defaultValue":"-24h@h,now"},"title":"Global Time Range"},"input_gkLCoAVl":{"options":{"items":[],"token":"dd_7gHCFird","selectFirstSearchResult":true},"title":"Dropdown Input Title","type":"input.dropdown","dataSources":{"primary":"ds_gKyzOqv5"}},"input_VpWiOave":{"options":{"items":[{"label":"All","value":"*"},{"label":"A","value":"a"},{"label":"W","value":"w"}],"token":"A_or_W","defaultValue":"*"},"title":"Choose A or W","type":"input.dropdown"}},
"layout":{"type":"grid","options":{"width":1440,"height":960},
"structure":[],"globalInputs":["input_global_trp","input_VpWiOave","input_gkLCoAVl"]},
"description":"",
"title":"test"}

Hopefully that helps.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...