Dashboards & Visualizations

How to create a default app/dashboard for all users - and an alternate dashboard in that same default app visible to admins only

shawno

I've recently cloned a dashboard within APP Web Proxies (Proxy SG). I'm able to view that dashboard by searching for it in the upper left but how can I make this the default APP for Everyone (basic users) as the default dashboard? Can I assign that everyone gets the limited (cloned) dashboard while ADMIN users get the full blown proxy dashboard? Thanks...

0 Karma

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

When you assign permissions to most elements you are offered granularity for read/write permissions at the role level.
Whether this is LDAP or local, Roles are built by inheriting permissions in a hierarchy.

So the way to default to all be it an app or a dashboard you create a role and join everyone to it... with the exception of the admin. So it's your "default" role say "all_users" which you would base on users or power_user (which is based on users) and the only thing that all_users role does that differs is that it has a default app and that default app has a default dashboard and the permissions for Read on that app and dashboard have been granted to users who posess the all_users role.

CLARIFIED ANSWER:

Assign the Admin role to your admins.
And the admins can then see whatever it is they need to see.

To Assign All users a Default App
As for the default page that is shown for all users...
create a role for all users called say... all_users
That's your default rule. Make your "user" version of the dashboard the default dashboard in the app. Or... just leave it in the menu where it is now. add the Admin version to the menu (or dropdown or whatever).

Now change the permissions on that dashboard so that it's only READable by admins

now login as a user... and you'll see that the standard user just simply can't see the admin version.

There can be only one default page per app... so we can't do a switch depending on the login.
But you can set it up confident that the admins can see everything.
And your users only see what you deliberately assign them to see.

Make sense?

With Splunk... the answer is always "YES!". It just might require more regex than you're prepared for!
0 Karma

shawno

I fully see where you're going with this BUT, how do I link the limited dashboard to a newly created role Limited_USERS? If I create a role, the default app is Web Proxies - this has two dashboards (one default and one cloned; cloned dashboard needs to be seen by the users added to the role Limited_USERS. I'm not seeing where to assign the cloned dashboard. Thanks

0 Karma

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I've amended my answer now that the question is clear. I'm going to also amend the title as the concept that one is a "clone" is irrelevant to the question.

With Splunk... the answer is always "YES!". It just might require more regex than you're prepared for!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...