Dashboards & Visualizations

How to add tooltips to dashboard panel titles?

hRun
Path Finder

I'm trying to add tooltips to the title of each panel of a dashboard as a sort of info text, when hovering.
This isn't a problem for SplunkJS Stack view objects, like e.g. table elements (see here). Problem is, there doesn't seem to be such an object for a panel's title.
Adding HTML code to the title section in a dashboards xml source also won't work due to Splunks syntax checks...
Unfotunately converting the dashboard to HTML also is not an option.
The only solution I found is to add text containing the tooltip functionality beneath a panel's title. But this isn't a good looking solution at all.

0 Karma

zeinstein
Path Finder

I was having the same problem. Only solution we could come up with was creating a js file for handling tooltips for titles.

0 Karma

dolivasoh
Contributor

If you're using Splunk 6+ you can convert dashboards to HTML and unlock many customization options. Hit the edit menu and convert to HTML. Then take a look at the source of the newly created dashboard and you'll probably feel more at home.

0 Karma

hRun
Path Finder

Just noticed that I forgot to mention conversion to HTML is not an option since it may not be compliant with requirements for future productive environments. ->Updated my question.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...