Dashboards & Visualizations

How do we handle HTML and NAV labeling with dashboard permissions?

tdiestel
Path Finder

Hi All

Last night i was doing some testing after converting the dashboards to html and adjusting the nav. Note that when you add an HTML file to the nav (by updating the default.xml file), if you use the traditional syntax

<view name=“my_dashboard" default="true”/>

the name displayed in the nav will be my_dashboard and not the title of the Dashboard as it is with Simple XML Dashboards. Thus we have 2 workarounds for this issue:

1) we use this code instead which gives a nice label:

<a href=“my_dashboard”>My Dashboard</a>

2) we rename the .html file something that looks cleaner:

<view name=“My-Dashboard" default="true”/>

in this case “My-Dashboard” would be displayed in the nav

Currently, we have had to go with approach number 2 for the Dashboard that is the default dashboard of the app because when we used method 1, Splunk would not recognize the default=“true” statement. For all other dashboards, we went with approach 1.

CURRENT PROBLEM FOUND LAST NIGHT: now to the problem at hand, it appears that when we use approach 1, our permissions we’ve set for that dashboard do not apply. Thus, we have to go with approach 2. I really do not like going with approach 2 as it is not a clean label and it is not scalable as similar clients may have to use the same dashboard Title/label but different dashboards entirely. Is there any other solution around this?

Thanks,
Tyler

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I found this out as well. There is no fix. The bigger question I have is : why are you using HTML dashboards? yes they are there, but the ability to extend simple xml with JS pretty much covers all use cases.

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

And apparently, this was asked 2 years ago.. damn you answers for bubbling this to the top.

0 Karma

sudoiamroot
Explorer

Did you ever fix the problem? I too am facing this issue.

0 Karma

tdiestel
Path Finder

We ended up just going with approach 2 listed above which uses hyphens in the name. It has actually worked out fine as I've just gotten use to -'s being in the nav names. Other than that still don't know of a clean solution.

0 Karma

ewmin3m
Engager

I wonder if there's been any progress on this. I'm also interested in using a top .html file for my web app. Shame that there's a solution in the deprecated Django, but there isn't on in the newer more prefered html,css + js way...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...