Dashboards & Visualizations

How can dedup with multiple fields returns fewer results

jrfreeze
Explorer

I think I must be misunderstanding how dedup works. It seems to me if you add fields to the dedup field list, you should never get fewer events returned.
| dedup fieldA
Should get rid of all extra events with the same value of fieldA
| dedup fieldA fieldB
Should only get right of those where BOTH fieldA and fieldB have duplicate values, which set theory suggests to me must be the at least the same size as the those where we only get rid of duplicates for fieldA alone.

But I'm getting far more results for:
| dedup _time
Than I do for
| dedup _time wma_set wma_filename

Any idea what's going on? For reference, here's the query:

index="main" host="designsafe01.tacc.utexas.edu" "designsafe.storage.community" "SimCenter/Datasets" (op=download OR op=preview OR op=copy OR op=agave_file_download OR op=agave_file_preview OR op=data_depot_copy)
| rex mode=sed "s/%20/ /g"
| rex mode=sed field=info "s/\'/\"/g"
| rex mode=sed field=info "s/\: u\"/: \"/g"
| eval thepath=case(in(op,"download","preview","agave_file_download","agave_file_preview"),json_extract(info,"filePath"),op="copy", json_extract(info,"path"), op="data_depot_copy", json_extract(info,"fromFilePath"))
| rex field=thepath "\/?SimCenter\/Datasets\/(?<wma_set>\w+)(?<wma_path>\/(.*\/)*)(?<wma_filename>[-\w\s\.]+)"
| rex field=wma_filename ".+\.(?<wma_extension>\w*)"

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Your dedup can return less number of rows if one or more dedup fields have null values (null values will cause number of uniq combinations to be less). Try something like this to confirm.

index="main" host="designsafe01.tacc.utexas.edu" "designsafe.storage.community" "SimCenter/Datasets" (op=download OR op=preview OR op=copy OR op=agave_file_download OR op=agave_file_preview OR op=data_depot_copy)
| eval thepath=case(in(op,"download","preview","agave_file_download","agave_file_preview"),json_extract(info,"filePath"),op="copy", json_extract(info,"path"), op="data_depot_copy", json_extract(info,"fromFilePath"))
| rex field=thepath "\/?SimCenter\/Datasets\/(?<wma_set>\w+)(?<wma_path>\/(.*\/)*)(?<wma_filename>[-\w\s\.]+)"
| eval wma_set=coalesce(wma_set,"Not_Available"), wma_filename=coalesce(wma_filename,"Not_Availabe")

View solution in original post

jrfreeze
Explorer

That did the trick - thanks!

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Your dedup can return less number of rows if one or more dedup fields have null values (null values will cause number of uniq combinations to be less). Try something like this to confirm.

| eval wma_set=coalesce(wma_set,"Not_Available"), wma_filename=coalesce(wma_filename,"Not_Availabe")
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...