Dashboards & Visualizations

Documentation Error in Chart command?

padala

New to splunk - was running examples on the sample data provided with splunk Fundamentals 1

Documentation - Splunk® Enterprise Search Manual 6.4.8 - Page 110 - Example 1
Search command - sourcetype=access_* | chart sum(kb) over clientip by host - Formatted as stacked bar chart

When I execute this command on the sample data - I do see 131K events. However no visualization shows up. Am I missing anything?

I did try to format as bar chart - but still nothing shows up on visualization tab.

0 Karma
1 Solution

cmerriman
Super Champion

it is because kb is not a field in the access_combined sourcetype, which I'll assume is where the sample data is going to come from. Do you have kb,clientip,host in your data? I'm going to assume it's bytes you need to change the sum command to.
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.8/Search/Createnontimebasedcharts

you can submit doc feedback at the bottom of the page with your email address and mark if it was helpful or not and add any comments on questions/concerns/improvements to the doc. the doc team is extremely responsive and helpful.

View solution in original post

padala

that was it..issue resolved

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

it is because kb is not a field in the access_combined sourcetype, which I'll assume is where the sample data is going to come from. Do you have kb,clientip,host in your data? I'm going to assume it's bytes you need to change the sum command to.
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.8/Search/Createnontimebasedcharts

you can submit doc feedback at the bottom of the page with your email address and mark if it was helpful or not and add any comments on questions/concerns/improvements to the doc. the doc team is extremely responsive and helpful.

lstewart_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

And the docs have been fixed. Changed "kb" to "bytes".

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...