Dashboards & Visualizations

Dashboards empty, my tracking logs don't seem to have the correct eventtypes

bobdoyle
Explorer

We've been trying to get the Splunk App for Exchange Server working on a test CAS/HUB. I've deployed the fwd_exchange2010_cas, fwd_win2008r2_iis, and fwd_exchange2010_hub apps to the system.

The following source types are showing up. MSWindows:2008R2:IIS, MSExchange:2010:MessageTracking, MSExchange:2010:Topology

I'm getting performance data counters and dashboards, but the Message Tracking dashboards all tell me that the searches didn't match any events. I don't see any of the eventtypes that the dashboards are looking for in the Tracking Logs themselves. Do the powershell scripts generate those?

I'm re-re-reviewing all my config files and am a little stumped. This is the first app I've used so, I'm a little stumped.

0 Karma
1 Solution

ahall_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The normal reason the eventtypes are not working are:

1. Different log location
  2. Different source type
  3. Different index

You've already checked #1 - you need to ensure that the message tracking events get the right source type and are stored in the right index. You can alter eventtypes.conf to specify the right index (which is normally the issue).

The final thing that can go wrong is that you have not placed the fwd_* apps on the search head, which means the field extractions don't happen - thus your dashboards don't get filled.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

scho228901
Engager

N00B question....

where do I put the fwd_*apps piece that you mentioned above?

0 Karma

ahall_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The normal reason the eventtypes are not working are:

1. Different log location
  2. Different source type
  3. Different index

You've already checked #1 - you need to ensure that the message tracking events get the right source type and are stored in the right index. You can alter eventtypes.conf to specify the right index (which is normally the issue).

The final thing that can go wrong is that you have not placed the fwd_* apps on the search head, which means the field extractions don't happen - thus your dashboards don't get filled.

0 Karma

bobdoyle
Explorer

Thank you! I didn't have the fwd_* apps in my apps directory on the indexer. I was really tearing my hair out. Thanks again!

0 Karma

MarioM
Motivator

Have you checked that message tracking is enable in your exchange 2010 server Configure Message Tracking ?

It 's on the HUB server and by default in C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\Logs\MessageTracking

0 Karma

bobdoyle
Explorer

I have, we are using a custom location and I've edited the inputs.conf for the app.

I'm getting tracking logs, but the dashboards aren't finding the eventtypes it expects. All message are msexchange-msgtrack. The dashboards are looking for eventtypes such as smtp-inbound, smtp-outbound, storedriver-deliver, storedriver-recieve, etc.

I can see results that would correlate to these fields in my data, but do I need to extract these eventtypes by hand?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...