Dashboards & Visualizations

Dashboard Studio Dynamic Dropdown Input - Query Types

shocko
Contributor

Using Splunk Enterprise 9. I'm trying to populate a dashboard studio dropdown input from query results. I was testing via a simple query (copied from the dashboard studio examples) as follows:

| inputlookup firewall_example.csv
| stats count by host

This works fine and the dropdown gets populated with the hosts. However, I'd also expected the following to to work 

| inputlookup firewall_example.csv
| stats values(host)

but it doesn't and no dynamic entries are in the dropdown. 

So my understanding of the query types that can be used with dropdown inputs is incomplete! Can someone point me in the right direction? 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

stats values(host) will give you a multi-value field i.e. a single event, whereas, in order to dynamically populate the dropdown, you need separate events (which is what stats count by host does for you).

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

stats values(host) will give you a multi-value field i.e. a single event, whereas, in order to dynamically populate the dropdown, you need separate events (which is what stats count by host does for you).

shocko
Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to reply @ITWhisperer . Much appreciated. That makes perfect sense. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK: a Step-by-Step Guide for ...

Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step guide for newbies Olga Malita The ...