Dashboards & Visualizations

Dashboard Search - Include Field When Exists

pkohn117
Explorer

I'm creating a dashboard to easily search through our web proxy logs and table out the results when troubleshooting. The issue is that sometimes the logs don't contain a destination IP, sometimes they do.

For the dashboard fields that you can input, one of them I want to be able to specify sometimes is the destination IP (field: dest_ip), however, the field doesn't always exist so if I use the following search (I'm excluding the tabling):

index=proxy c_ip=$cip$ cs_host=$cshost$ action=$action$ dest_ip=$destip$

Dashboard values:

c_ip=1.2.3.4

cs_host=* (default)

action=* (default)

dest_ip=* (default)

It will exclude some of the logs since they don't all have the field "dest_ip"

The other 3 fields exist in all logs.  In the dashboard you can input values for each of the fields.  I'm trying to allow that for dest_ip but it doesn't always exist - that's the issue I'm trying to overcome.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dtburrows3
Builder

Does this give you the intended behaviour?

index=proxy c_ip=$cip$ cs_host=$cshost$ action=$action$ (dest_ip=$destip$ OR NOT dest_ip=*)

I think including an (dest_ip=$destip$ OR NOT dest_ip=*) will search any token input but also include results for events that don't have a dest_ip field in them.

The only issue I see with this is that if a dashboard user is looking for a specific dest_ip now then they will get results matching all the other field criteria and have null dest_ip.

Maybe if you wanted to filter off the events with null dest_ip when a specific dest_ip is being searched (anything other than "*") then you could add some additional filter criteria.

index=proxy c_ip=$cip$ cs_host=$cshost$ action=$action$ (dest_ip=$destip$ OR NOT dest_ip=*)
    | eval filter_off=if(NOT "$destip$"=="*" AND isnull(dest_ip), 1, 0)
    | where 'filter_off'==0

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dtburrows3
Builder

Does this give you the intended behaviour?

I think including an (dest_ip=$destip$ OR NOT dest_ip=*) will search any token input but also include results for events that don't have a dest_ip field in them.

The only issue I see with this is that if a dashboard user is looking for a specific dest_ip now then they will get results matching all the other field criteria and have null dest_ip.

Maybe if you wanted to filter off the events with null dest_ip when a specific dest_ip is being searched (anything other than "*") then you could add some additional filter criteria.

| eval filter_off=if(NOT "$destip$"=="*" AND isnull(dest_ip), 1, 0)
    | where 'filter_off'==0

0 Karma

pkohn117
Explorer

The second part worked great!  thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...