Dashboards & Visualizations

Dashboard Search - Include Field When Exists

pkohn117
Explorer

I'm creating a dashboard to easily search through our web proxy logs and table out the results when troubleshooting. The issue is that sometimes the logs don't contain a destination IP, sometimes they do.

For the dashboard fields that you can input, one of them I want to be able to specify sometimes is the destination IP (field: dest_ip), however, the field doesn't always exist so if I use the following search (I'm excluding the tabling):

index=proxy c_ip=$cip$ cs_host=$cshost$ action=$action$ dest_ip=$destip$

Dashboard values:

c_ip=1.2.3.4

cs_host=* (default)

action=* (default)

dest_ip=* (default)

It will exclude some of the logs since they don't all have the field "dest_ip"

The other 3 fields exist in all logs.  In the dashboard you can input values for each of the fields.  I'm trying to allow that for dest_ip but it doesn't always exist - that's the issue I'm trying to overcome.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dtburrows3
Builder

Does this give you the intended behaviour?

index=proxy c_ip=$cip$ cs_host=$cshost$ action=$action$ (dest_ip=$destip$ OR NOT dest_ip=*)

I think including an (dest_ip=$destip$ OR NOT dest_ip=*) will search any token input but also include results for events that don't have a dest_ip field in them.

The only issue I see with this is that if a dashboard user is looking for a specific dest_ip now then they will get results matching all the other field criteria and have null dest_ip.

Maybe if you wanted to filter off the events with null dest_ip when a specific dest_ip is being searched (anything other than "*") then you could add some additional filter criteria.

index=proxy c_ip=$cip$ cs_host=$cshost$ action=$action$ (dest_ip=$destip$ OR NOT dest_ip=*)
    | eval filter_off=if(NOT "$destip$"=="*" AND isnull(dest_ip), 1, 0)
    | where 'filter_off'==0

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dtburrows3
Builder

Does this give you the intended behaviour?

I think including an (dest_ip=$destip$ OR NOT dest_ip=*) will search any token input but also include results for events that don't have a dest_ip field in them.

The only issue I see with this is that if a dashboard user is looking for a specific dest_ip now then they will get results matching all the other field criteria and have null dest_ip.

Maybe if you wanted to filter off the events with null dest_ip when a specific dest_ip is being searched (anything other than "*") then you could add some additional filter criteria.

| eval filter_off=if(NOT "$destip$"=="*" AND isnull(dest_ip), 1, 0)
    | where 'filter_off'==0

0 Karma

pkohn117
Explorer

The second part worked great!  thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...