Dashboards & Visualizations

Creating Dashboard/Tables

chungmp

Thank you for coming by a few weeks ago.

I am trying to create Dashboard for failed login- however since we are getting data from multiple sources, i.e. syslog, CEF, etc.. we don’t have the same fields in the results.

For example- I am trying to create a table that display failed login results for all sshd processes (and they come from different type of sources- ie. Some may have suser field, some may not, and what I have realized is that the result will only display those with “src shost dvc dvchost suser duser msg”, where the fields are empty it will omit them. Hence I am missing events.

dproc=sshd categoryOutcome=/Fail*|top 20 categoryOutcome src shost dvc dvchost suser duser msg

I hope I make sense. Please let me know if you have any questions/what I need to change?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try with updated answer.

0 Karma

chungmp

Thank you!!

There is a line w/ all N/A values, except for time- I added _time, which i believe is my own searches in splunk. How can I get rid of that?

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this:
UPDATED

dproc=sshd categoryOutcome=/Fail* (categoryOutcome=* OR src=* OR shost=* OR dvc=* OR dvchost=* OR suser=* OR duser=* OR msg=*)| eval categoryOutcome=coalesce(categoryOutcome ,"NA") | eval  src=coalesce(src ,"NA")  | eval shost=coalesce(shost ,"NA")  | eval dvc=coalesce(dvc ,"NA")  | eval dvchost=coalesce(dvchost ,"NA")  | eval suser=coalesce(suser ,"NA")  | eval duser=coalesce(duser ,"NA")  | eval msg=coalesce(msg ,"NA") 
|top 20 categoryOutcome src shost dvc dvchost suser duser msg

OR

dproc=sshd categoryOutcome=/Fail* (categoryOutcome=* OR src=* OR shost=* OR dvc=* OR dvchost=* OR suser=* OR duser=* OR msg=*)| table categoryOutcome src shost dvc dvchost suser duser msg
| fillnull value="NA"

This will replace unavailable fields with values "NA", so that all events will get listed.

Give this a try

dproc=sshd categoryOutcome=/Fail* | eval shouldInclude=if(isnull(categoryOutcome) AND isnull(src) AND isnull(shost) AND isnull(dvc) AND isnull(dvchost) AND isnull(suser) AND isnull(duser) AND isnull(msg),"No","Yes") | where shouldInclude="Yes" | fillnull value="N/A" |top 20 categoryOutcome src shost dvc dvchost suser duser msg
0 Karma

chungmp

Yes, I did... I actually took out categoryOutcome and replaced with _time
dproc=sshd categoryOutcome=/Fail (src= OR shost= OR dvc= OR dvchost= OR suser= OR duser= OR msg=*)| table _time src shost dvc dvchost suser duser msg
| fillnull value=("NA" OR "")
|top 20 _time src shost dvc dvchost suser duser msg

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How are you getting the _time column? I am not seeing that being used in your query.

0 Karma

chungmp

Also, The results displays a row that says "NA" for all fields and one of them says "None", which I modified | fillnull value=("NA" OR "None"), but then I got missing results - i.e. some results disappeared that was there before if I just have | fillnull value="NA"

0 Karma

chungmp

Thank you! I tried that and it works however, now I get a line with "" for all fields, except time column. I also tried:| fillnull value=("NA" OR "") but didn't help (please see below). Thanks!

dproc=sshd categoryOutcome=/Fail* (categoryOutcome=* OR src=* OR shost=* OR dvc=* OR dvchost=* OR suser=* OR duser=* OR msg=)| table categoryOutcome src shost dvc dvchost suser duser msg
| fillnull value=("NA" OR "
")

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...